DIGITIMES: IT news from Asia
Provided courtesy of:
DIGITIMES English version providing daily news about Asia's IT industry
- Csun sees EPS hit 7-year high in 2017
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:48:03 GMT - Semiconductor and LCD equipment supplier Csun Manufacturing has reported net profits of NT$403 million (US$13.79 million) for 2017, increasing 91.9% on year. The earnings translated into an EPS of NT$2.70 for the year, the highest in seven years.
- APeJ public cloud services spending to reach US$15 billion in 2018, says IDC
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:44:57 GMT - Asia Pacific excluding Japan (APeJ) spending on public cloud services and infrastructure is forecast to reach US$15.08 billion in 2018, an increase of 35.66% over 2017, according to IDC. The market is expected to hit a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 32.58% in public cloud services spending, or a total of US$32.27 billion in 2021.
- Qualcomm enters into amended definitive agreement with NXP
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:00:19 GMT - Qualcomm has announced that Qualcomm River Holdings, an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of Qualcomm, has reached an agreement with NXP Semiconductors to increase to US$127.50 per share its previously announced cash tender offer to purchase all outstanding shares of NXP. The amended agreement, which was approved by the boards of directors of both Qualcomm and NXP, also lowers the minimum tender condition from 80% of NXP's outstanding shares to 70%.
- Huawei to use more smartphone SoCs from HiSilicon in 2018, says report
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 06:48:05 GMT - Huawei is expected to increase the adoption of smartphone solutions from its chipset subsidiary, HiSilicon Technologies, in 2018 which will add more pressure on Qualcomm and MediaTek, according to a Chinese-language Economic Daily News report.
- FIH Mobile to swing to losses in 2017
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 05:42:26 GMT - FIH Mobile, a handset unit of the Foxconn Group, has said that it expects to swing to a net loss of up to US$525 million in 2017 due largely to losses arising from the impairment of its investment portfolio. The company posted net profits of US$136 million in 2016.
- Some AI chip startups may bow out in 2018, says Alibaba academy
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 04:24:04 GMT - The number of startup developers of AI (artificial intelligence) chips has increased fast over the past two years but some of them may bow out in 2018, according to predictions by Alibaba Damo Academy.
- Unity Opto expects gross margin to rise to 25% in 2018
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 04:09:35 GMT - LED packaging service provider Unity Opto Technology expects business in 2018 to improve, with gross margin to rise to 25%, compared to 21.9% for the first three quarters of 2017, according to company chairman Wu Ching-huei.
- Headset maker Merry reports record EPS for 2017
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:55:01 GMT - Headset maker Merry Electronics has reported net profits of NT$2.147 billion (US$73.56 million) or NT$11.16 per share for the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Yaskawa Electric to set up base at CTSP
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:53:11 GMT - Japan-based Yaskawa Electric will set up a production, technological service and exhibition center for smart industrial robots at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP), with construction to begin in second-quarter 2018 and complete in first-quarter 2019, according to CTSP administration.
- Taiwan LED firms face pressure from China competitors in automotive lighting
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:32:41 GMT - Taiwan-based LED packaging service providers face increasing pressure from China competitors for automotive lighting orders from China's automakers and after-market.
- Beijing AI research institute founded
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:18:00 GMT - In a bid to turn China's capital city into a hub for talent in the field of artificial intelligence (AI), an AI research institute in Beijing was newly inaugurated, with Kai-fu Lee - who was former vice president at both Google and Microsoft - serving as the founding president.
- Taiwan tech startups present innovative AIoT solutions
- Wed, 21 Feb 2018 02:49:14 GMT - AI (artificial intelligence) is deemed as the last integral part of the IoT (Internet of Things) architecture, and the integration of AI and IoT can generate brand new AIoT business opportunities that can be better tapped with creative thinking. As one of the world's tech hubs, Taiwan has witnessed many businesses create innovative and practical business models associated with AIoT applications by taking advantage of the country's robust IT technological prowess.